First impressions and all
Well, you did it – you are a guy who got someone to go out with you. Nicely done. Now you just have to figure out what this date will entail, and what to wear to it.
What to wear on a first date depends a bit on what the activities will be, but some general rules apply. This first impression could be your last. No pressure.
PUT IN EFFORT
- Do not wear a t-shirt, unless it’s Prada (but if you own a Prada t-shirt, stop reading) or it’s under a rad jacket that you won’t be taking off much.
- First dates are about getting to know each other, so try to integrate some of your personal style into your outfit. A button-down is a good idea, but perhaps choose one with some interesting details? A tie can be a nice touch if you can keep it casual – like a sweet skinny tie (think hipster). Putting effort into your ensemble shows that you care about the date.
- Nicely fitted pants are always a good idea. No shorts. This might be an opportunity to show that you’re confident enough to pull off something cool, like red pants. If you wear jeans, make sure they’re not too worn. Slacks are a nice touch.
- Do not neglect your feet. If you’re going to wear sneakers, make sure they look new. Try some interesting kicks or colorful socks for a little something extra.
HIGHLIGHT YOUR ASSETS
- Show off what you’re working with. If you have mad guns, show them off, but subtlely. Do not wear a paper-thin shirt and flex, or she will make fun of you later. If your baby blues get it done, wear that shirt that makes them pop. Dreamy.
GROOM YOUR HAIR…EVERYWHERE
- If you rock facial hair, trim it up. Use product on your hair, but avoid the dreaded gelled “wet look”. Try a paste for a better finish.
ACCESSORIZE FOR THE WIN
- Nothing says “man child” more than a bad wallet situation. If your important items are held together with a rubber band, it basically communicates that you can’t even commit to a real wallet.
- Go easy on the cologne. Your date should only be able to smell it when she hugs you. It will be a sexy surprise.
DON’T BE A PEACOCK
- This is not the time to wear something flashy or weird. Do not try out that new fedora.
ASK QUESTIONS. LISTEN. ASK FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS.
- Chew with your mouth closed. You’ll be fine.